This classic text has been used in over 20 countries by advanced undergraduate and beginning graduate students in biophysics, physiology, medical physics, neuroscience, and biomedical engineering. It bridges the gap between an introductory physics course and the application of physics to the life and biomedical sciences. Extensively revised and updated, the fifth edition incorporates new developments at the interface between physics and biomedicine. New coverage includes cyclotrons, photodynamic therapy, color vision, x-ray crystallography, the electron microscope, cochlear implants, deep brain stimulation, nanomedicine, and other topics highlighted in the National Research Council report BIO2010. As with the previous edition, the first half of the text is primarily biological physics, emphasizing the use of ideas from physics to understand biology and physiology, and the second half is primarily medical physics, describing the use of physics in medicine for diagnosis (mainly imaging) and therapy. Among the many topics carried forward are thorough treatments of forces in the skeletal system, fluid flow, the logistic equation, scaling, equilibrium in statistical mechanics, the chemical potential and free energy, transport, membranes and osmosis, magnetic and electrical signals from nerves and the heart, membranes and gated channels in membranes, biological magnetic fields, linear and nonlinear feedback systems, including biological clocks and chaotic behavior, biological signal analysis, hearing and medical ultrasound, atoms and light, optical coherence tomography, radiometry and photometry, the interaction of photons and charged particles in tissue, radiological physics and the use of x-rays in diagnosis and therapy, nuclear medicine, and magnetic resonance imaging. Discussion of theory is closely linked to experiment. Prior courses in physics and in calculus are assumed.
About the Author
Russell K. Hobbie received a B. Physics from MIT and a PhD from Harvard University. He went to the University of Minnesota as a post-doc in 1960 and remained there for 38 years. Originally working in nuclear physics, he became interested in medical issues when he met Richard Reece, MD at a party. The two worked on computer-assisted interpretation of laboratory test results for several years.
Hoping to make the pre-med physics course more interesting, Prof. Hobbie, between 1971 and 1973, audited all the courses medical students take in their first two years at the University of Minnesota. He was amazed by the amount of physics he found in these courses that had seldom been discussed in the general physics course. A number of articles he wrote for the American Journal of Physics presaged the current content recommendations for pre-med and biological physics courses.
Prof. Hobbie also found a great discrepancy between the physics in papers in the biological research literature and the level of understanding of most biology majors or pre-med students who have taken a year of physics. It was clear that an intermediate level physics course would help these students. Prof. Hobbie developed such a course in 1973, which led to the publication of Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology in 1978.
Prof. Hobbie is a member of the American Physical Society, the American Association of Physicists in Medicine, and the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. He is a Fellow of the American Association of Physics Teachers.
Solutions Manual for Solutions Manual for Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology ISBN 0071254277
- This is NOT the TEXT BOOK. You are buying Solutions Manual for Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology by Russell Hobbie, Bradley J. Roth Solutions Manual
- The book is under the category: Science and Engineering, You can use the menu to navigate through each category.
- We will deliver your order instantly via e-mail. DOWNLOAD LINK will be included in that email. Once payment is confirmed, Please check Inbox and also SPAM box.
- We have included the solution manual in a zipped file. You can use winzip free version to extract the file. Solutions Manual comes in a PDF format and available for download only 3 times using the link in the description.
- Solutions Manual for Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology by Russell Hobbie, Bradley J. Roth Solutions Manual only NO Test Bank included on this purchase.
- This is the Solutions Manual of 4th edition of the Solutions Manual for Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology . Please use the search box to find the other manuals.
- You may use the contact box to reach us.